Updated: 27 April 2022
Tip: You can shortcut the menu's most useful to you in CLASS by favouriting them
An example favourite menu is below containing CLASS modules from each top level menu item:
1. While logged into CLASS go to the top right under account settings
2. From this menu click the "Change Menus" tab and now tick the CLASS modules you would like on your Favourites menu
Now every time you log into CLASS your short cut menu is available via the Gold Star / Favourites button on the bottom left.
Note: This is user specific only so each menu is preferential on what each individual finds most useful
Other Documented Account Settings
CLASS WCAG settings - https://clcs.org.au/index.php/wcag-setting-user-accounts
Services in CLASS are tagged with the Clients address at the time the Service is created. This can cause issues down the line if only a partial address is entered, or if a Client moves house. CLASS has a tool to let you retag a Service if you need to.
Open the client and click "Additional Details"
Click New in the "Address" section
Enter the new address and tick the box for Primary. Press Save & Close
Open the relevant Service
Click Retag in the top right hand side of the menu
Congratulations, your service has been retagged!
If you don't have access to the retag button and think you should, get in touch with your Centre's CLASS Administrator, or with us on the Helpdesk.
Before you create a custom Role, it’s worth thinking about what permissions you’d like to give your users. Would you like them to only be able to view, (rather than create) services? Would you like to give them access to reporting, but not other areas of CLASS?
Once you have some parameters in mind, simply follow the instructions below to create your custom Role.
- Navigate to System Settings >> Roles
- Click New in the menu on the top right hand side
- Give your Role a name
- Pick an existing Role to base the permissions off. (The best option to choose will depend a little on what you’re trying to create, but we recommend starting with Volunteer, General Staff Access, Admin, or Admin Advanced, depending on the level of power you’d like your user to have).
- Select a “Level of Access”. (We recommend copying the level associated with the base Role you’ve selected).
- Click Save in the menu on the top right hand side. This will bring up some columns below and to the side.
- To edit the permissions, in the column below click the little arrows next to the different Modules, and then the Entities within them, to expand them.
- Then, tick or untick the boxes for the relevant permissions you’d like to add or remove from the role.
- To assign it to users, click the Assign Users hyperlink in the column on the side. This will bring up a multiselect list of all the users at your centre.
- Simply tick the box next to the users you’d like to assign
- When you’re done, click Save in the menu on the top right hand side.
When you create a Service, CLASS stamps it with the address of the Client. This allows us to generate a large amount of detailed information about the Service, including things like it’s Local Government Area (LGA) or Remoteness Area (RA).
However, to generate this information, CLASS needs a complete address.
When doing data entry, you can click the “Show on Google Maps” button to determine if the address is complete or not.
If a Client moves house between Services, you can stamp the new Service with their new address by adding a new address to the Client page and marking it as primary, then going to the service and clicking 'Retag' in the menu on the top right-hand side.
Want to report on these fields? No worries! Here’s a quick rundown of how to bring those into a DIY report.
- Navigate to Reports and Accountability >> Reports
- Open DIY Service Client
- Set your start and end dates, your additional reporting date, and your funding categories
- Click on Customise in the menu on the top right-hand side to bring up the PivotGrid Field List
- From the list, click and drag LGA Name into the Drop Row Items Here space
- Also from the list, click and drag No of Services into the Drop Data Items Here space
- Click Load report
- Congratulations! You now have a breakdown of how many services you delivered to each LGA during that period.
April Tip of the Month
Did you know you can add demographic information to services in your Triage list? If you’re collecting Client information before you know what kind of Service Type they will require, this is an easy way to get that information into CLASS.
If you navigate to CLASS >> Triage you’ll see a list of Triage services.
You can click on the Service ID hyperlink to click into the service.
Once you’re inside the Service Record, you can click on the hyperlink of the Client’s name to open the Client Record, where most demographic data is recorded.
Then you can record as much as you desire!
March Tip of the Month
Did you know you can add a Legal Task in the same session as a Legal Advice?
A Legal Advice Service is the provision of fact-specific legal advice to a Service User in response to a request for assistance to resolve specific legal problems.
A Legal Task will generally either involve preparing or assisting a Service User with the preparation of documents or advocating on behalf of a Service User.
See the following case study from the Data Standards Manual.
Jason receives written legal advice on an employment matter. This counts as one ‘Legal Advice Service’. Jason makes further contact one month later in relation to the same employment matter. It is determined that further advice on the matter is required and is provided in writing again. This counts as a second ‘Legal Advice Service’. A letter is also written on Jason’s behalf to his employer. This letter is counted as a separate ‘Legal Task’.
It is important to record Legal Tasks as they show the variety of work provided by CLCs and FVPLSs which reflects the additional effort required to do this work. Note that Legal Advices and Legal Tasks should not be recorded for Representation Services.
February Tip of the Month
As staff arrive at and leave your Centre, it’s important to ensure that their access to CLASS is managed appropriately. The best way to do this is to lock or deactivate user accounts as soon as they leave the Centre. Once you’re sure there’s nothing owned by that user that needs to be shared or retrieved, for example, custom DIY reports, the user can be terminated, making their account permanently inaccessible.
This can be done by going to System Settings > User Accounts > Selecting the user account from the list.
Accounts can be blocked or deactivated by ticking or unticking the relevant box on the user account and clicking save. Clicking Terminate Account will bring up a warning pop-up.
Did you know that under the National Legal Assistance Data Standards Manual, Information Services are subsumed by all other service types?
- If you provide a Referral and an Information Service, you only record a Referral
- If you provide an Advice and an Information Service, you only record an Advice
Downloads of fact-sheets, self-help guides, or other resources from the Centre website or leaflets about the law picked up by people should NOT be counted as information services. However, you might want to report separately on these to demonstrate the reach and value of these resources.
See the Data Consistency Guide for more information about information Services.
Got a great tip you want to share? Ask to join our CLASS Admin Peer Support Group!
Search Services is a more versatile and powerful searching tool than you might have realised. To perform complex searches, simply open the Filter Builder by clicking the hyperlink next to the checkbox down the bottom left of the page.
From here, you can filter for Services depending on what you’re interested in. This example shows how to use the Filter builder to view all services for a particular funding category that were assigned to a particular worker during a six month period please follow steps below:
Type ‘s’ into the Service ID search bar and press enter to populate the list
Click on the hyperlink “Contains” down the bottom left hand side of the Search Services Screen
The Filter Builder will now show. Click on the plus symbol next to the “And” to add criteria to your existing view of Services to better filter them.
Click on the blue text and select Funding Category
Click on the green text and select Equals
Click on the grey text and type NLAP Funding
Click the plus symbol again
Click the blue text and select Open Date
Click the green text and select Is between
Click the grey text and enter 1/7/21 and 31/12/21
Click the plus symbol again
Click the blue text and select Assigned To
Click the green text and select Equals
Click the grey text and enter a Worker’s name
Click OK your filter should look something like the above and you may notice the Services displayed have now changed.
There are lots of possibilities for how you can use this to perform complex searches! Feel free to experiment and don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Helpdesk if you need advice.
At your Centre you may have a DIY report expert but it’s a good idea for continuity to make sure where appropriate these reports are shared amongst staff so the knowledge is not lost.
To share a report with your Colleagues you must be the owner of said DIY report, please review the below for this process.
With the DIY Report in CLASS please find the Share button toward the top right
After pressing the Share button the owner of the Report has the ability to share said report with either CLASS Roles and or specific users at your centre.
- On the left hand side on the screen shot these are the role names within CLASS
- The radio buttons here indicate the permission level you will assign to a role or an individual
- You can filter for usernames for Colleagues you would like to share separate permissions to for a particular report
- As with point number 2 these are the permissions you can allocate to individuals a table will be below giving you the details
- The save button for when you are done sharing
Regarding the permissions Unlocked Editable is the most permissive and Locked is the least permissive in detail please see the below:
- Locked - users may run the report but not adjust any filters or make changes to the report
- Locked with Filters - users may adjust filtering while running the reports but can't make changes
- Unlocked Save As - users can save their own copy of the report for editing as well as view and load the report and just filtering they can't add any new fields yet though
- Unlocked Editable - Full control
- None - No visibility can't interact with the report
This may not apply or be feasible to your centre but one strategy would be to share the DIY reports in general with you're CLASS Admin Advanced users for Unlocked Save As and to Share with individual users who help you directly with the report for Unlocked Editable.
Please see these other useful articles related to DIY Reports:
A more verbose version of the above here: (https://clcs.org.au/diy-sharing-and-permissions)
DIY Report training to get up to speed: (https://clcs.org.au/class/training/diyreports30nov2021)
General DIY Report information: (https://clcs.org.au/class/filter-panel)
Tip: Its possible to view all Services assigned to you without going to the Search Services screen.
Steps to using the "My Services" Module of CLASS:
1. Select "My Services" on the left hand menu of CLASS. Press CLASS on the bottom left if this is not visible initially.
2. The My Services screen is now open but is not showing you're services by default
3. To load your services now type an 'S' into the service ID column and all you're assigned services will now load.
This is how to use the My Services screen!
More advanced usage of this Module in CLASS is that the services can be further filtered in various way:
- Highlighted as the first point above in the screen shot. Any column can be filtered on by adding text to it.
- As the second point of the screenshot above the Filter Builder can also be used see Tip of the Month January 2022 below
- The Column Chooser can also be used on this screen to add columns whether they be Standard Fields or Custom Fields