Celebrating 50 Years: Reconnecting and Reimagining
After a few long years of lockdowns, isolation and life by zoom, planning is well underway for a National Conference in 2023.
Join us at the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Nipaluna (Hobart, Tasmania) on 22–23 March 2023 for the National Conference, as we reconnect and reimagine the justice landscape.
We’ll be celebrating the incredible 50 years of community legal centres in Australia – reconnecting and reflecting on the challenges and successes of the past few years and looking to the future with purpose and positivity.
Together, we'll focus on climate and First Nations justice, working with grassroots community movements, and what we need to do to build a strong, sustainable sector and safe, secure workplaces - so that we can provide the best services possible to the people and communities we support. There will also be breakout sessions, workshops, training sessions and opportunities to network and connect at our social events.
- The main conference program will run over two days on 22 and 23 March 2023.
- Our National Networks will meet in person on National Network Day on Tuesday 21 March 2023.
- We will end the week with a day of Masterclasses on Friday 24 March 2023 for those who'd like to take a deep dive into critical practice and governance issues facing our sector.
- A Welcome Reception will take place on the evening of Tuesday 21 March 2023.
- The Conference Dinner will take place on the evening of Wednesday 22 March 2023 at the conference venue.
Thanks to our Conference Advisory Group for their guidance as we plan a great event.
For more information and to learn about sponsorship opportunities please contact our conference lead Liz Wells at [email protected]
The National Conference is a place for us to come together, connect, collaborate, upskill and share stories about the challenges we've faced and how we've overcome them. If you've got an idea for a great breakout session, we want to hear from you!
We invite sector colleagues and external partners to help shape and deliver the conference program and submit Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for breakout sessions. EOIs should address our theme Celebrating 50 Years: Reconnecting and Reimagining and meet the needs of people working in roles across the legal assistance sector.
Please also note that there is a more limited number of breakout sessions than in previous years as the conference is a 2-day event only, so we will not be able to select as many EOIs are we have in the past.
EOI close date: 31 October 2022
What are we looking for?
We aim to provide interactive workshops and inspiring presentations for delegates. We are looking for sessions which:
- Relate to the conference theme
- Fall under one of the program streams (see here)
- Focus on skill building for workers in the community legal sector through interactive workshops
- Showcase innovative or emerging issues
- Engage and inspire participants. This is a key requirement and is about proactively encouraging audience interaction, discussion, debate and learning. Participants should walk away from the session with new ideas and skills and a sense of active engagement.
How to submit an EOI
EOIs are submitted through an online portal and need to address the criteria raised through the submission process. You will be asked:
- For a title and summary of your proposed EOI
- How your idea fits the conference theme
- To select a conference stream
- To indicate the learning outcomes, skill and knowledge that participants will gain
- How delegates will be engaged
- About your expected audience group
We welcome EOIs at all stages of readiness – if you have a brief idea, an outline proposal or a fully developed presentation please put in a submission.
More information and guidelines about the submission process are available here.
Review and selection of EOIs
Upon submission of your EOI, you will receive an acknowledgement by email. If you do not receive this email, contact [email protected]
Members of the Conference Advisory Group will review the EOIs after the closing date and determine a short-list.
Applicants will be notified by email in the last week of November 2022 if they have been selected to contribute to the Conference program this year, have been wait-listed or were unsuccessful.
Presenters will be required to register for the conference and pay the applicable registration fee by 31 January 2023 (as confirmed during the submission process).
We might love your idea but want to work with you to make changes or combine it with another EOI. Please don't be disappointed if that is the case. We always get more submissions than we can put in the conference program.
Any questions about your EOI?
Registration for conference tickets, socials events and accommodation will open in mid October 2022.