Position: First Nations Cadetship Program
Organisation: Redfern Legal Centre
Location: Redfern NSW
Closing date and time: 05/12/2022 5:00pm
Contact person: Finn O'Keefe, [email protected]
During their cadetship, students will work alongside Redfern Legal Centre solicitors, gaining practical legal experience and exposure to clients experiencing disadvantage.
The successful candidate will work alongside Redfern Legal Centre solicitors across three areas of our legal practice. The cadet will gain practical experience working with clients experiencing disadvantage and join RLC solicitors engaged in advising clients, undertaking casework and policy projects and delivering community legal education.
• practical training across a range of legal areas
• experience in aspects of practice management: client intake and issues identification, ‘triage’, and managing a client caseload and court diary
• skills development in legal research and writing and delivering legal advice
• structured mentoring and networking opportunities with the legal sector and community, and;
• access to training and other development opportunities, including attendance at courses and conferences.
To be eligible to become an RLC cadet, candidates must:
• be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent and identify and be accepted as such in the community, and
• provide evidence of enrolment in an LLB or equivalent course in an approved Australian tertiary institution for an undergraduate degree, a combined undergraduate degree, a postgraduate degree, or an honours/masters year as part of an undergraduate degree.